Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Critical Analysis: Armenia
Arrival in Armenia

Armenia is a little, erstwhile Soviet nation situated in the South Caucasus region and bordered by their adversarial nations of Turkey and Azerbaijan.  The southern border of the country shares a tiny boundary with Iran, while the northern border has a larger boundary with Georgia.  I have personally undertaken the journey from Tbilisi, Georgia to Yerevan by car, and the maximum duration of the travel is approximately four hours.  During the trip, it becomes evident that Armenia, excluding its capital Yerevan, is a dilapidated country. 

I suggest choosing Yerevan as your destination for air travel due to its visa-free policy for the majority of Western visitors. Additionally, this eliminates concerns regarding the presence of dishonest border agents who may impose unjustified penalties for nonsensical reasons. 

The Armenian population is genetically linked to the Middle Eastern region, with significant genetic affinities with Persian Iranians.  They possess high intelligence, exhibit frugal behavior, demonstrate a strong focus on business, and are adept at achieving significant results with limited resources.  Armenia is a rich source of IT expertise, and Armenians are sometimes compared to Jews in terms of their achievements despite their tiny population.  Armenians who managed to evade mass killings have dispersed around the globe.  A few individuals have started to return, prompted by the government's encouragement.  The Armenian refugees who escaped the Syrian conflict have just arrived in the country and have had a significant impact on the economy. They are well regarded by the nation. 

Women

A significant percentage of Armenian women possess remarkable physical beauty, particularly if one appreciates slender figures, olive-toned complexions, and dark hair.  Women residing in rural areas occasionally appear to have a somewhat darker complexion, whilst in urban areas, the Russian population seemed to have undergone a pleasing process of lightening.  Do not anticipate engaging in sexual activity before marriage unless the girl has resided in another country or is involved in the profession of prostitution.  Indeed, the situation is of great gravity.  Girls protect their reputation and succumb to the influence of the gossip network in that environment.

I advise against seeking romantic relationships in Armenia unless you have a serious intention to get married.

Service Quality

Armenians frequently experience underemployment, resulting in service levels that consistently surpass expectations compared to those in the United States.  In the hotel industry, they have a strong inclination towards hospitality and strive to create a positive perception of Armenia, despite prevailing unfavorable preconceptions globally.  A significant majority of Armenians employed in the service sector located in the city center are fluent in English.  In the neighborhoods, the situation is less pronounced.

The hotels and lodging establishments

All of the following hotels are located in the city center, unless stated differently.

Luxury: The Alexander Marriott, a prestigious hotel located in Yerevan, Armenia.

Second-tier options for comfort include Doubletree (located on the outside edge of the city center), Republica, Radisson Blu (while it is far from the city center, it offers affordable rates), and Hotel North Avenue.

Accommodation options within the budget include Hyatt Place, Ibis, and Congress Hotel.

The Culture

Three factors significantly influence the Armenian mindset: the Armenian Genocide, Gregorian Orthodox Christianity, and the challenging geographic location.  Armenians you encounter will consistently remind you of their status as the world's inaugural Christian nation.  Armenians take great pride in their history, including various parts that are sometimes overlooked. Consequently, many Armenians are enthusiastic about sharing and elaborating on these topics.  It is simply a consequence of being in Armenia. 

Due to the severe mistreatment of Armenians throughout the Ottoman Empire, as well as in Azerbaijan's ethnic cleansing campaigns and other locations, they frequently develop a close-knit mentality of "us versus the world."  The phrase "Otar" refers to individuals who are considered outsiders, specifically used to denote foreigners.  This statement is not intended to be derogatory, but it simply implies that they do not belong to our group.

It is important to recognize that there are two distinct regions in Armenia, namely Yerevan and all other areas outside of Yerevan. Some individuals argue that there is a third region when considering the Armenian diaspora.  Due to the disparity in development, these countries appear distinctly different.  Yerevan residents caution against engaging with those from small towns due to their heightened wariness towards foreigners, lower level of education, and comparatively less welcoming demeanor compared to the residents of Yerevan.  Additionally, I perceive that residents in Yerevan feel a sense of embarrassment towards those from smaller towns, as they view them as a negative representation of Armenia.  However, I have had enjoyable encounters pausing and wandering in the countryside regions where individuals will find amusement and joy in your presence.   

The Armenian attitude encompasses a readiness to confront and surmount challenges and difficulties, while also embracing enjoyment and amusement.  During the summer, a significant number of Armenian Americans congregate in Yerevan with the purpose of acquiring the language and reestablishing their historical ties.  I typically refrain from engaging with them, although numerous individuals approach me to greet me and inquire about my presence.

The presence of corruption and extortion inside the police force in Armenia is a significant issue.  During my previous visit, I experienced being stopped and coerced by law enforcement officers.  The locals are accustomed to this situation, however, as a foreigner with foreign license plates, I became a target.  I encountered no complications when I parked my vehicle and opted for Uber instead. 

Entertainment and social activities that take place during the evening and early hours of the morning. 
Given that Yerevan possessed a livelier nocturnal entertainment scene, my frequency of visits would significantly increase.  The prevalent establishments in Yerevan consist of dubious bars where the female employees expect you to purchase pricey beverages, a limited number of strip clubs, and venues resembling brothels where the majority of women are both overweight and single mothers.

Paparazzi is the most exceptional dance club I have visited recently, but new establishments emerge occasionally as older ones go down.  The most exceptional bars are those situated along the streets in front of the Cascade monument.

Top Choice Beyond Yerevan: A recently established Marriott hotel can be found in the picturesque resort town of Tsaghkadzor.

Be advised: Certain Armenians may advocate for your journey to the contested region of Artsakh, which remains under the jurisdiction of Azerbaijan.  I strongly discourage visiting that place due to the potential lack of support from your embassy in case of an emergency. Additionally, it is important to note that by merely visiting, you would be in violation of Azerbaijani legislation, which might result in a permanent ban from entering Azerbaijan or even imprisonment as a means of making a political statement.  The Artsakh territory is referred to as Nagorno-Karabakh by the Azeris. 

Overview If you happen to be in the vicinity of Kyiv, Tbilisi, or Baku, it is highly recommended to board a brief flight to Yerevan and allocate a period of one to two weeks for your stay.  You will find great satisfaction in the nostalgic lifestyle that individuals lead, reminiscent of the 1950s era.  In Yerevan, the emphasis is on uncomplicated joys and the importance of family.  By chance, I happened to be in Yerevan during the 2018 revolution, and I have observed noticeable improvements such as reduced corruption and a more dynamic business sector.

Once again, there is enjoyment to be experienced in that place, but approach it with the intention of seeking a life partner, rather than seeking a one-night stand.  Examine the perspective of this individual: